Sunday, February 8, 2009

Portuguese Man of War - A Beautiful Stinger


In accomplishing her amazing feat, Jennifer Figge, the first woman to swim across the Atlantic Ocean, encountered plenty of Portuguese Man of War. I've always been fascinated with these beautiful creatures that can in some cases be fatal if you happen to get entangled in their flowing tentacles.

I personally encountered one when I was a kid swimming in the ocean in Florida. It floated right by me, and I almost reached out to grab it, but at the last second, my dad yanked me away. I'll never forget it because after it floated by, we ducked under the water and saw how far down the tentacles reached. The were flowing almost to the sea floor. It was a beautiful site. If you missed the story about Jennifer Figge, you can read about her amazing journey here.

Photo Source: Photobucket.com

comments

0 Responses to "Portuguese Man of War - A Beautiful Stinger"

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner | Blogger template converted & enhanced by eBlog Templates